The ISRI safety staff received this from a member recently.
“Earlier today one of our alligator shear operators was shearing some faucets and a small explosion sent some scrap back at him. Fortunately he was wearing a screen visor and the debris did no harm to him. Upon further inspection it turned out the faucet was a touchless faucet. These have a battery. When the battery is compromised, there can be a small explosion. When you see the dark or red windows on the faucet, there is a sensor and that means there is a battery somewhere. We are teaching our guys to watch for this type of material now.”
If you have any additional information on this type of material it would be appreciated if you shared it with the ISRI safety team.