- Lift the recycling industry's visibility in Washington, DC
- Build a better understanding of the complex nature of the recycling industry, including the multifaceted environmental, international trade, and small business concerns.
- Illustrate that scrap materials are processed into valuable commodities for manufacturing.
- Identify scrap materials as important exports that improve America's balance of trade.
- Recognize that tens of thousands of Americans are employed in the recycling industry.
- Raise awareness that recycling protects the environment by conserving energy and America's natural resources.
- Encourage members of Congress to champion legislation that is beneficial for recycling and the recycling industry.
Message from John Shimkus