StopMetalsTheft.org is a website hosted by the Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries (ISRI) that is intended to serve as a service and resource to recyclers, law enforcement, prosecutors, and other interested parties on the issue of metals theft. The site includes:
- Information about the crime of metals theft in the United States;
- A link to send a theft alert in your community;
- Tools for law enforcement, prosecutors and recyclers in addressing the crime;
- Information on state metals theft laws;
- Media coverage of the crime across the country
- Success stories in apprehending perpetrators; and
- Recycling industry information.
About Metals Theft
Metals theft is a big problem. As if the theft alone was not a serious problem in and of itself, consider that the repair and replacement costs dwarf the value of the stolen items. The thefts often lead to dangerous results such as electrocution, mass power outages, transportation interruption, and national security threats, putting first responders, utility workers, and citizens at risk.
Its impact on the scrap recycling industry is also significant. Recyclers are victims of theft too. ISRI, the nation’s trade association and voice of the recycling industry, is actively working to help solve the problem of metals theft.
Source : Scrap Metal Theft: Is Legislation Working for States ?,
The Council of State Governments, May 2014