There are three basic conditions that you must meet to benefit from the protections of SREA. While the specifics may vary depending on when the transaction took place and the recyclable material involved, the basic questions you must ask yourself to determine applicability are:
- Does the material meet the definition of a “recyclable material”?
- Does the transaction meet the conditions for “Arranging for Recycling”?
- For transactions after February 27, 2000, did you take reasonable care to determine the environmental compliance status, as it applies to the recyclable material, of the facility to which the recyclable material was sent?
If the answer to all of these questions is yes, then you are on your way to obtaining Superfund relief!
ISRI SREA Guidance Manual
ISRI has an in-depth manual organized around these questions to help you demonstrate that your transactions are covered under the new law. The guidance document provides a common-sense review of the new law and describes in plain English the conditions that you must meet to take advantage of the liability relief afforded by the new law.
These manuals were distributed to all ISRI members following enactment of the law. While the bound version of the original manual itself are out-of-stock, a photocopied version of the manual may be ordered at a reduced rate of $35.00 to ISRI members through the ISRI's General Counsel.
ISRI SREA Reasonable Care Compliance Program
ISRI’s SREA Reasonable Care Compliance Program helps members with their due diligence efforts by doing the majority of the “leg work” and paper trail chasing for them.
ISRI utilizes the environmental expertise of URS Corporation and one of the largest regulatory environmental databases in the nation to provide members with information that includes:
- Publicly available, comprehensive environmental compliance information compiled from more than 1200 federal, state and local databases, FOIA requests, and facility questionnaires.
- Supporting back-up data on information presented in the report.
“At our company, we feel it is extremely important to protect our future. By completing the SREA due diligence, we are doing our best to avoid a costly mistake down the road,” said Matt Kripke of Kripke Enterprises. “Requesting the reports from ISRI allows us to take advantage of economies of scales and pay only a fraction of what it would cost us to order the data on our own. We thank ISRI for offering this valuable service at a very reasonable investment,” concluded Kripke.
SREA reports provide documentation so members can show they checked to make sure their customers are in compliance with applicable environmental laws. The SREA ISRI-member benefit is your protective shield!